Umap Fleet Map Server
Brief functional description
UMap Fleet Map Server is a mapping system capable of supporting all mapping functions of a Fleet Management System. The product is based on the Umap Cruiser platform which has been jointly developed by Talent Information Systems S.A. and Innovtive CitisShop who have the required know-how for its maintenance and extension, as demanded by the requirements of the system being offered.
The Umap platform provides the following choices to the end user:
- Via Umap WebCruiser (use with any web browser), without requiring the installation of a special plug-in, using AJAX technology, which provides high interactivity.
- Via Umap Cruiser, a special java-based rich client, which provides additional characteristics and an upgraded user experience.
Schematically, the platform is shown in the following diagram.
All the functional characteristics, mentioned below, are integrated into the Umap platform and come “out of the box”. Combined with the full functionality of a Fleet Management System, in which it will be used, the Fleet Map Server will be able to be embeded in any part of a portal/web site (independent window or incorporated in other web pages) and will provide the following functional characteristics:
- Cartographic depiction of areas centered around some point of interest (e.g., company headquarters, point of interest or any other spot) specified during the activation (call) of the cartographic subsystem. The cartographic background will consist of a linearly drawn colored map, the aesthetics of which may be anything desired. On this will be overlayed the objects that must be displayed. It will be possible to display each object using a special symbol (icon).
- Ability to navigate through the presented maps with continuous zoom in / out and pan-around using the mouse (drag & move). When using Umap desktop, the ability of three-dimensional navigation is also provided (user experience similar to that of Google Earth).
- Ability to start the cartographic display from a specified sub-area of the entire map, which will be specified by the user on a specific level of accuracy (zoom).
- Ability to display the position of the vehicles in real time. For each type of vehicle, it will be possible to use a different icon (of the client´s design).
- Ability to display the route of one or more vehicles for any time interval in the past, using a color selected by the user.
- Ability to automatically pan the map so that the movement of a vehicle is followed.
- Ability to display-hide points of interest and any other geographic features on the map (e.g., hospitals, gas stations, subway stations, etc.) at will, so that the desired appearance of the map is formed.
- Ability to mark points of interest and/or areas in the form of placemarks/bookmarks, for future recall. Their representation is appropriate for easy processing, pasting, dispatch (e.g., via e-mail) an storage.
- Direct updating of the user about the displayed objects on the map (descriptions of areas and points of interest, display of multimedia material, etc.) via tooltips, by placing the mouse pointer over the objects.
- Ability for dynamic search by the user, either free (with simple matching) or based on lexicographic criteria.
- Ability to print the produced maps, as they are configured by the user.
- zoom_to_rect: Causes zoom-in/out to an area, whose vertex coordinates are given via the URL.
- zoom-to-features: Causes zoom in or out to the area containing the specified features.
- center-to-feature: Centers the map on a specific feature. When WebCruiser starts with such a URL, it will display a map centered on the requested feature at the specified zoom level. When the URL is executed by an already open WebCruiser, then the map:
- will “turn on” the object´s layer, if it is not visible
- will zoom-in/out to the highest level at which the object is visible
- will activate the object
- if the object is outside the visible area of the map, it will center on the object
- it will locate the object
- center-to-point: Centers the map on a specific point, whose coordinates are given
- zoom-to-level: Zooms the map to the specified level.
- show/hide-layers: Shows the map with some layers visible and some layers hidden. One can specify only layers to show or layers to hide.
- adjust-legend-width: Adjusts the width of the map´s legend.
- geocode-address: Displays the map centered on an address. The way addresses are given is particularly important, as they are part of the URL.
- find-route: Displays, on the map, the route between 2 or more addresses. If the addresses are more than 2, the addresses between the first (“address1”) and the last (“addressN”) are considered intermediate stops.
- search-token: Starts the search process for any verbal term.
Apart from the aforementioned functional characteristics, the product can be configured to order and according to the customer´s particular requirements.
On the server side, there is the ability for scalability (load balancing and increase of the number of servers) so that the traffic of any number of vehicles may be catered for.